ALIP is committed to formulate strategies for meaningful newcomer integration in Abbotsford and work towards their implementation.
All of ALIP's work informs its main objectives:
- Carrying out research into newcomer needs, immigration topics and the community's assets and gaps
- Building knowledge of local integration issues and raising awareness of immigrant needs amongst the members' organizations and the wider community.
- Create a local settlement strategy and an annual action plan for Abbotsford, identifying key priorities for the community.
- Develop working groups with specific, measurable and time-bound activities to implement the Partnership Council’s strategic priorities.
- Evaluate the implementation of action plans.
We Are Abbotsford - The Reach Gallery, 01 Nov 2017
Around 200 community members from different age groups, ethno-cultural backgrounds and immigration experiences came together to celebrate our multicultural community and to learn further about the various vibrant cultures which make up Abbotsford.
Welcome to Abbotsford - Newcomers Bus Tour, 25 Oct 2017
The purpose of this project was to foster a sense of belonging and reception by inviting new
residents to partake in an educational and interactive journey around the community. The bus tour integrated activities and site-visits that are most relevant for new residents. The three target priorities of the tour were to:
- Expose participants to Abbotsford’s rich cultural diversity and artistic, ethno-cultural, and religious community sites;
- Provide information on local labour markets and employment
- opportunities in Abbotsford;
- Give participants a sense of the varying neighbourhoods/ districts within the city, including the locations of major institutions and establishments.
Canada Day - Turban Tying Booth, 01 Jul 2017
The "Turban Tying" booth set up by the Gurmat Centre in partnership with ALIP was a huge attraction at the Canada Day celebrations in Abbotsford. It created a space for cross-cultural learning and understanding as well as instilling cultural pride.